Board of Directors and Staff
Clayton Retail Group
Health Savings Card
The History of the Chamber
Since our founding in 1952, the Chamber has been an integral part of the Clayton community. In a little over 50 years, we’ve seen Clayton grow from a sleepy suburb into an commercial powerhouse boasting both world-renowned businesses and mom and pop shops. Yet despite all of the changes, our charge has remained the same: the Promotion of Clayton commerce.
Follow our journey from the 1950’s until today...
- The first steering committee meeting was held on July 18, 1952.
- Articles of Incorporation were signed on December 1, 1952, bringing the Chamber into existence.
- Land developers began pushing St. Louis businesses to relocate to Clayton, citing Clayton as the County Seat and its "easy access."
- Parking in Clayton was one of the hottest topics of the era.
- Four executive divisions were formed: Management, Business, Community Service and Community Development. By the early 1960’s, these were replaced by 12 committees.
- Chamber goals were reshaped to coordinate with changing times. There was a new focus on a variety of topics including cultural, educational and recreational projects.
- In 1975, the Chamber offered group medical and hospitalization to its members.
- After years of receiving little financial assistance, the Chamber expanded considerably as Clayton awoke as a leading business center.
- The Chamber began concentrating on 8 unique areas: attitude, collaboration, corporate sponsorship and event marketing, education, recognition, services, technology and organizational development.
- In 1980, the Chamber initiated a strong public relations campaign to promote both the Chamber and Clayton.
- That same year, the Chamber spearheaded the founding of the Clayton Child Center to provide daycare services to families working in Clayton.
- The first Parties in the Park event was held on June 1, 1983, quickly becoming a must-attend event for area professionals.
- Clayton businesspeople began demonstrating their athletic skills at the first annual Corporate Challenge.
- In 1992, the Chamber started its annual forum, “State of the City,” to inform members about Clayton government activities.
- The Chamber introduced the Leadership Clayton program to train and motivate area leaders.
2000 and beyond
- Today, Clayton is a booming business center, featuring hundreds of companies and over 70 restaurants. The Chamber’s concentration continues to be on fostering Clayton business and making Clayton a fun place to work and live.